CoolSculpting is a method of removing unwanted fat that fails to respond to traditional dieting and exercise efforts. Similar to liposuction, CoolSculpting is an FDA-approved procedure that targets and freezes fat cells beneath the skin utilizing advanced cooling technology. The fat cells die and the body naturally eliminates them, leaving sculpted, toned results. Unlike liposuction and other more invasive procedures, a CoolSculpting treatment in Toronto involves no needles, no incisions, and no anesthesia. It is an effective and noninvasive method of reclaiming your body without extensive downtime afterward.
The method behind CoolSculpting is called Cryolipolysis® and was developed by scientists at Harvard University.
It is important to remember that CoolSculpting is not an effective weight loss treatment plan. The procedure works most effectively for patients who are within 13.6 kilograms of their target weight and just need a little help with those stubborn pockets of fat that fail to respond to traditional weight loss methods. The full results of treatment take time to materialize, and though you can expect to witness results six weeks after the procedure, most patients can expect to see their full results within two to four months of treatment.
Because the treatment effectively kills fat cells, patients who maintain a healthy lifestyle involving diet and exercise can expect to maintain their results. Specific areas that respond well to CoolSculpting include hips and thighs, upper and lower stomach, chest, arms, and back.
Women and men between the ages of 18 and 80 are potential candidates for a Toronto CoolSculpting session. However, there are some patients for whom the procedure will be more effective than others. These include:
Although these conditions are very rare, patients who suffer from cyroglobulinemeia, paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria, or cold agglutinin disease are not good candidates for CoolSculpting. We encourage our patients to share a full list of their conditions and medications to ensure they are ideal candidates for this treatment option.
Most Toronto CoolSculpting treatments last about an hour, although some sessions may last several hours. Depending on the number and size of treatment areas, some Toronto patients may require more than one CoolSculpting treatment to achieve their desired results as each hour-long treatment can generally target one treatment area, such as the upper abdomen, one love handle, or one side of the flanks. It is also possible to schedule additional treatment for a target area in order to maximize the results, although we recommend spacing treatments on the same area several months apart. Most patients can expect a 25% reduction of fat at the treated area. A subsequent treatment would result in an additional 20-25% reduction for a total fat loss of nearly 50%.
Treatment sessions involve placing an applicator and gel pad on the targeted area. The applicator cools the fat beneath the skin, creating a cold sensation on the skin being treated. However, the chilling sensation generally resolves after a few minutes as the skin becomes numb. During this time, some patients elect to read, listen to music, nap, or work on their computer.
We recommend that CoolSculpting patients arrive at their appointment wearing loose clothing and avoid beverages in the two hours leading up to the procedure.
One of the greatest advantages of CoolSculpting is that patients can immediately resume their usual activities. While there might be some tenderness or mild redness at the treatment area, patients can return to work, exercise, run errands, or socialize immediately after treatment.
Not all patients experience side effects, though some do feel tingling, tenderness, bruising, itching, or cramping at the treatment area. For patients that do experience some mild pain, we encourage them to apply a cold compress and take an over the counter pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol.
For best results, Toronto CoolSculpting patients should seek a licensed and experienced practitioner.
The cost of CoolSculpting varies based on each patient’s specific needs and concerns. Some patients require a single session targeting a smaller area, while others prefer to address to multiple areas of concern. We provide patients with a treatment estimate once we have assessed their unique circumstances and agreed on the best treatment plan.